Tuesday, December 30, 2008

One hour ago...


Winter on the Downs. The ice crystals are pretty, but not quite as impressive as these:


Richard at the excellent Grey Area posted this picture a couple of months ago and I assumed that it was a still from some sort of Fantastic Journey-style science fiction film. However these are real people exploring a cave full of giant calcium sulphate crystals. The cave was discovered eight years ago in Mexico and I'm surprised that this remarkable image isn't more well known.

3 comments:

JRSM said...

Holy shit! is the only correct response to those enormous crystals. They're amazing. Reading around, I see the chamber they are in is incredibly hot as well, requiring ice-packed protective gear and allowing only for very short visits.

bye bye bellulah said...

Mouth is open but no words are coming out!

Steerforth said...

It's real Journey to the Centre of the Earth stuff. I was open mouthed too when I first saw the picture.