Sunday, December 03, 2006

Desperation

A while ago I was going through some new fiction titles with a publisher when I came across a racing thriller by a fairly well-known writer. I noticed that the title was billed as a 'superlead'.

'Sorry, but he doesn't sell as well these days.' I said, ordering a measly three copies.

The publisher's enthusiasm seemed undimmed. 'Well, yes his sales have dropped off recently, but we've changed the ghostwriter and I think that this one should be back on form.'

2 comments:

Gonçalo Veiga said...

I'm not totally against ghost writing. Some people use ghost writers' services to help them writing their autobiographies (like busy doctors, musicians, football players...) but, when it comes to serious work, like fiction, it profoundly disgusts me.

I would hate to know one of my favourite writers hadn't quite written this or that other book, or perhaps all his collection of books.

If you can't write, then don't write! Right?

Gonçalo Veiga said...

lol! ...I said that "right" kind of rhyming with "write". :p

It turned out funny with you replying! hehe