Tuesday, November 18, 2008

And Gay used to be such a lovely word...

Reading this blog, you could be forgiven for thinking that I'm consumed by a nostalgia for the past. However, as much as I like steam engines and deerstalkers, I have no urge to return to the age of backstreet abortions, racial intolerance and discrimination against anyone who isn't 'normal'. The modern world may be crap in many ways, but it's easy to be seduced by the notion of the recent past as some sort of idyll.

Films like this remind me how far we've come. Look out for the Jack Nicholson lookalike who tries to seduce boys with 'off-color jokes' and crazy golf:

3 comments:

Grey Area said...

so that's how it's done.... I never considered the Crazy Golf angle before

wonderful stuff, well found!!

Kate Lord Brown said...

Gals AND boys, a cautionary tale - run, run like the wind from the provinces :)

The Poet Laura-eate said...

I'm a great believer in blending the best of the past with the best of the present.

Why shouldn't we have our cake and eat it. I'm just not an 'either' / 'or' person - I want the moon on a stick!

As I said to Reluctant Blogger I miss Victorian times and the 1930s most.