Saturday, July 21, 2007

And relax...

I have discovered a cure for stress. After today's Harry Potter hullabaloo I arrived home a broken man, but two things pulled me back from the brink: a bottle of Macon Villages and a programme for toddlers called In the Night Garden.


The programme almost defies description. On the surface it is your regular children's programme about weird, benign, nocturnal creatures that resemble soft toys, but there is a subliminal element that makes you feel snug as a bug in a rug. If there was a virtual reality version of In the Night Garden, I would be first in the queue to buy it.

3 comments:

Andrew MishMash said...

Bang on, Steerforth!

Night Garden is just extraordinary;I think the success is that it combines strong [expensive no doubt] production values with a narrative simplicity that might be compared with that other classic The Clangers.

Have you seen any episodes where the Tumbly-boos get down to playing some music? It's a top line percussion based free jazz thing going on!

Have a good day.

Drew

Steerforth said...

I can't remember. I'll watch it sober next time. I do like the Pontypines and envy them in some ways. I like the way they all snuggle up in bed together without a hint of Hugh Hefner's playboy mansion about it.

jpatsy said...

I love "In the Night Garden" and so do my toddlers which is handy. It is so calming and lovely (even the jazzy episode). It's made by the same people who made the teletubbies. I love the bit at the end where they all get into bed and Makka Pakka cuddles up to a big stone. Classic.